Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Washing blowing in the wind

Such a nice warm breezy day I have my washing out on the line, the first load of the year. I have been able to cut my electricity bill quite a bit since being here. I have been washing in cold water for years, but since moving I used the washing line from April to October to dry clothes and all winter I used a clothes horse in the spare bedroom just finishing them off in the dryer to soften. We have brought our bill down so I should see a $120 savings over the year. Not much you might think but combined with the 2 degrees lower on our thermostat our gas heating bill has dropped from what they predicted we would use by $144 so that amounts to $264 a year which is almost one month pad rent of found money.

Save the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves is a maximum often quoted in the UK and it is true everywhere. With vehicle gas and food going up in leaps and bounds I like to look at ways to save here and there. I would rather put a sweater on indoors than go without some of the other little things we like to do, such as eat out once in a while.

2 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

ho, wash out already!

Just in from a walk ... got caught in a rain shower and had to wait it out under the bridge. Now there is a small, probably short lived, sunny break happening out there.

Somehow, the challenge of saving is a fun game to me. D was very hard on electricity so I know I've cut down there!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

My English grandmother passed on all those aphorisms "Take care of your pennies and your pounds will take care of themselves." and "A penny saved is a penny earned." and such things.

I also hang my laundry out on a clothes line, Year round.